Brett Elam was working on the house next door, and talked with 1110 KFAB about fighting the fire with a garden hose and a cellphone.
An elderly Council Bluffs man is in critical condition after his house caught fire this morning near 32nd and Avenue E.
Brett Elam was working on the house next door, and says he saw the flames and moved quickly. "I came running back here and hooked up the hose as I was dialing 911 with the other hand," Elam said. "And I just kept hollering and screaming for him, trying to put out the flames as I could."
Elam said he had to battle thick smoke to try and douse the flames. The man was found curled up behind a front door, and suffered some burns and smoke inhalation.