No one was hurt in an overnight fire at the Darling International rendering plant at 33rd and F Streets.
Firefighters saw smoke from blocks away as they arrived at Friday night. A second alarm was sounded shortly after arrival. The Bellevue Fire Department also responded to help get the blaze under control. Three employees were inside the building and were able to escape. No one was hurt.
Omaha fire officials say it was caused by spontaneous combustion of meat and bone meal stored in a vat. The meat and bone meal is processed on site for use in pet food.
Officials estimate about $150,000 dollars in damage to the building and to contents inside.