It opens at 6:00 p.m. Thursday at the Columbus Park Community Center near 24th and Hickory.
The City of Omaha is working with the American Red Cross, OPPD and the Nebraska Humane Society to provide shelter for people and pets without power as a result of last night’s heavy snowfall and high winds.
Anyone who is in need of temporary shelter for their pet can bring their animal to the Nebraska Humane Society located at 90th and Fort Street. Anyone who will be staying at the Red Cross shelter and who are unable to get to the Humane Society may bring their pet to the Center. NHS workers will transport the pet to their facility for housing.
Anyone coming to a Red Cross shelter should bring:
• Prescriptions and emergency medications
• Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
• Identification to show residence is in affected area and important personal documents
• Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
• Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula and toys
• Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled