The home near 29th and Seward was heavily damaged Friday afternoon
Omaha firefighters encountered heavy smoke and flames when they rolled up around 3:15. Assistant Fire Chief Dan Stolinski says they had a hard time putting the fire out because of the amount of papers stacked against the basement windows.
He says the two residents knocked over a space heater. It caught a couch on fire and the flames spread to the papers. One of the residents was treated at the scene for smoke minor inhalation.
Stolinski says they contained the fire to the basement, but the entire house sustained heavy smoke damage. The American Red Cross is now assisting the residents.