Two students are getting medical treatment after handling the bat
Last Thursday the two students found a bat clinging to a window inside the school. Mark Langan with the Nebraska Humane Society says both students physically handled the bat before taking it to a teacher.
The bat was sent to the Kansas State Laboratory for testing. On Tuesday the bat tested positive for rabies. Langan says they notified the school and the parents of the two students. They planned to take their children to the doctor for medical treatment.
It’s unlikely the students contracted rabies by handling the bat, but Rabies is a fatal disease and Langan says this incident should serve as a reminder that no one should ever touch a bat.