No one was injured in Wednesday morning's fire near 62nd and Bedford
Omaha Assistant Fire Chief Steve Ausdemore says the initial call was to check a possible defective appliance. He says a call like that is normally handled by a small amount of firefighters.
But when they arrived, they found heavy smoke pouring from the house. Ausdemore says a help wanted call went out to bring in more manpower.
Investigators say an overloaded power strip started the fire and caused about $48-thousand damage. No one was was injured and the American Red Cross is now assisting the homeowner and four children.