Last week's two alarm fire at the Applewood Pointe Apartments near 96th and Q caused nearly $2 million in damage
Omaha fire investigators say a resident improperly disposed of a cigarette butt in flower pot filled with dried up potting soil on a second-floor balcony deck.
Fire Department spokesman Brandon Wilson says the resident of the Applewood Pointe Apartments near 96th and Q thought she was putting her cigarette out in a pot of dirt. But he says the old potting soil contains fertlizers, which can be very flammable.
He says the strong winds last Thursday night helped spread the fire. 80 residents were displaced. The fire caused nearly $2 million in damage. One person suffered smoke inhalation.
Wilson advises all apartment residents to put their cigarettes out in an ash tray , a pop can half filled with water or a metal container.